What Are Prebiotics?
Well, we are happy that you asked! Prebiotics are fibers, mostly plant-based, that nourish good probiotic bacteria in your gut. Feeding the good probiotic bacteria with prebiotics can help create the perfect balance in your gut. Prebiotics make probiotics happy, and this together makes for a happier, healthier YOU!
What are the benefits of prebiotics?
Prebiotics nourish certain probiotic bacteria. This may help support your gut health and promote overall health by:
- Increasing and energizing beneficial bacteria .
- Normalizing the gut by restoring the balance between good and bad bacteria
- Positively impacting the gut environment with bacteria-derived compounds like short-chain fatty acids and vitamins
Natural food sources like green bananas and onions also contain prebiotics, but usually in smaller amounts. That means you’d have to eat at least 15 green bananas to get an effective dose of prebiotic!
Your gut’s best friend!
Here at Wonder Drink, we wanted to make a kombucha that had a little something special. We made the first and only Prebiotic Kombucha using prebiotics from an organic plant fiber called xylo-oligosaccharides. “Xylo” selectively nourishes good bacteria (more specifically Bifidobacterium species). Discover more about prebiotics here.
Prebiotics VS Probotiocs
Prebiotics and probiotics are hot topics in gut health and you may be increasingly seeing them around on store shelves. They are actually quite different.
- Do not naturally occur in the gut
- Are not live bacteria
- Are plant-based fibers that promote growth of probiotics
- Remain stable for long periods of time
- Are not as sensitive to outside environment
- Are necessary for Probiotics to survive and thrive
- Are used by probiotics to make short-chain fatty acids, which defend our bodies against harmful microorganisms
- Can naturally occur in the gut
- Are live bacteria and are most effective when alive
- Are good bacteria nourished by prebiotics
- Are sensitive to heat, moisture, and acid
- Do not always survive shelf life
- Need nourishment to survive and compete with 500-1000 different types of bacteria in the gut
- Use prebiotics to produce short-chain fatty acids to help defend our bodies against harmful microorganisms
Go get your Prebiotics!
The prebiotics of Wonder Drink Kombucha are all ready for you! Shop on our online store and #TasteTheGoodness in just a click of a button!